Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Letter to my 1st Period

To my bright-eyed, eager learners of 1st Period:

182 class periods, 12 units with corresponding exams and essays, nearly 1000 pages of text, even more pages of notes, one giant exam, a few random comments from K- and many strange stories from P-…but we all survived and lived to tell about it. Come July, you will get your scores on the AP exam and then supposedly we’ll all know how much we really learned. Even before the scores come in, though, I can say the year has been a worthwhile and enjoyable learning experience for me.

Thank you all for such an incredible year. Thank you for staying awake, for asking great questions, for fixing my staplers. Most of all, thank you for giving it your best. I know that other interests and challenges in your life pull you in a thousand different directions, but for forty-five minutes a day you (mostly) focused on U.S. History. It is students like you that give hope to cynics like me, because it is obvious you see the ways our country can be improved and you have the potential to do it.

And, of course, thank you for the Trader Joe’s gift card. I promise to try to buy some healthy snacks in addition to the several boxes of chocolate Joe-Joe’s I am bound to pick up. It was sweet of you to do that, and I will think of you all summer while I munch on my snacks!

I wish you all the best of luck next year in your senior year and in the amazing years that are bound to follow!


Mrs. Abigail