Monday, October 03, 2005

What else is new?

Hey, if you didn't have a problem with an education secretary who never actually taught then you shouldn't have a problem with a Supreme Court judge who has never actually judged.

I had a problem with the non-teaching education secretary though. So, I'm probably going to have a problem with the non-judging judge too. Which is too bad, because I was willing to accept someone more conservative than O'Connor, not because I'm more conservative than O'Connor (though I might be in some ways) but because I don't believe every incoming judge has to look exactly like the outgoing judge. That's just dumb and not at all what presidential appointments are supposed to be about. But I don't think this is what they're supposed to be about either.

Okay. It's much too late to be blogging about politics. I'm going to bed.

Update: While thinking about this in bed last night, it occurred to me that I seem to remember something about an Emergency chief who had no "emergency" experience.

Also, I thought about my discussions with my US students about colonists complaining about the problem of "patronage" when the English crown was viewed as having put his friends in important political positions with no regard to their virtue or qualifications.

Should we start a revolution? No, I don't think so. But we shouldn't be surprised when these things are done by a president whose only political experience involves holding the governorship of Texas, which is the second weakest governorship in the U.S. (behind only South Carolina, another post-Reconstruction anti-executive state).

Okay. The vent is over now. I will go grade papers like a good teacher.