Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I'm not here. Go somewhere else

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted. But there's no need to apologize because most of my readers are teachers and know that sometimes other things require our attention. Actually, it's been mostly non-teaching things that have required my attention, but more on that sometime later.

Megan over at Open up my head and see what's on my mind has responded to my post below in a lengthy and inspired post. Go on over and check it out. I like that she has focused on teaching as a "calling." I do not argue that we need more inner-city teachers and that their job is tough in ways that I cannot even begin to fathom. But are warm bodies better than teachers? Because that's what I would be. If that's not what I'm cut out to do, should I do it anyway because they need people? How does that help the situation? Inner-city schools don't just need teachers, they need GOOD teachers. Maybe my way of helping solve the problem is to make my own students aware of the disparities that exist in schools today (and you better believe I bring it up in several units). Maybe my teaching of both knowledge, skills, and morals will convince one of my students to teach in the city. But I do well where I am. And just because other people would like my job does not mean I am replacable (as suggested in a comment in the previous post).