Thursday, September 01, 2005

The first week in five words or less

Okay maybe more words than that. But it's almost time for bed and I don't want to leave my loyal readers in suspense any longer, so I'll give you a quick summary of the week.

My first week of advanced placement classes has been okay. Not great, but not terrible. Really they seem to start out really well and then lose steam at about the thirty minute mark. The kids begin looking like zombies. I don't know if this is due to the 85 degree weather combined with 90 percent humidity or if it is that I seem to get lost in my notes at that point. Either way, I've decided I need to not micromanage the discussions so much and let them guide me more. We shall see. One student has dropped out.

GT World History has been fine. The kids seem pretty good.

Other than that there really isn't a lot to report. We did have a student faint the first day of school due to heat. This is the second year in a row this has happened. People haven't complained much about the weather though, considering it is way better than what Louisiana is facing right now. (I plan a future post on the hurricane, by the way).

So all in all, not a stellar week, but it could have been much worse. Tomorrow I will go straight from school and hop a plane to Houston for the weekend so I can meet my 3 week-old nephew. Have a good weekend everyone!