Sunday, July 10, 2005

Religion Quiz

I took this religion quiz a while back and am just getting around to posting it. I wish it was this simple. I wish I could take a quiz and it would tell me what I really think. Hey maybe God could grade it for us. At the end it could say "Congratulations! You've been saved!" or "Uh oh! Better go study some more!"

I haven't been in a great place spiritually for awhile. Sometimes I think it's getting better but really I think during those times I'm just too busy to notice. It always gets worse during the summer when I have time to think. I was telling the dh, too, that what is so discouraging about it is that when I have little break downs, I don't feel like I come out of it stronger. I just sink lower and lower. I wonder some day when I'll lose complete grasp and end up with no faith at all. The past few weeks I've been feeling a little more hopeful probably in thanks to some books I've been reading by authors who feel similarly.

A little bit of history before we get on to the results of the quiz. My church background resembles that of a military brat. We started out in the Presbyterian church, but left when I was about 6. Because I was small and my parents really didn't talk to me about things, I thought that we left the church because sometimes the toilets weren't flushed in the ladies room. Honest to God. It's a long story how I got to that conclusion but the real reason we left is because they got a female pastor and because my mom was in charge of the shut-in visitation group and found out that two of the people she sent out on visits were having an affair with one another and my mom was the only one that didn't know.

We headed over to the Methodist church, not really because of any doctrinal issues but because they had a new church and lots of my parents' friends were there. Then we switched Methodist churches when I was in junior high because I wanted to go to the church where all of my school friends went.

I was pretty active there. By then my mom had become pretty jaded and they dropped me off at church before they went to play golf. Then, in high school, I got a serious boyfriend. Serious. And he informed me that I was, in fact, going to Hell because I went to a denominational church. So, after some serious arguments with the parents (and honestly, a lot of independent Bible studying on my part -- especially for a high schooler) I ended up at a southern, conservative, Church of Christ.

This was one of those churches where only the people that think exactly like you go to Heaven. For a high schooler, it's so tempting because everything is complete black and white. There is good and evil, Heaven and Hell, and if you just read the Bible it's clear which is which. If you're confused it's because you're letting your own feelings get in the way and you don't really want to know the truth.

I broke up with my boyfriend, went to college, and found another southern conservative Church of Christ. That's where I met the dh. But one of the reasons we were attracted to each other was because we were both so frustrated with the church situation.

Now, we still go to a Church of Christ, but it isn't anything like the ones we went to before. It's only the same nominally, which is enough to keep dh's family happy. We were so excited when we found this church because we were leaving all the legalism behind. But we picked up a new host of problems and that's when I began getting really frustrated. Churches as a whole, are bound to disappoint because they are made up of people and people are going to disappoint you. Additionally, I've discovered I really don't like preaching. I don't like the idea that someone is the expert and they're going to tell me what they think I need to hear. What do they know about my situation? This is especially true in churches like our's where only men can do the preaching. The preaching in our churches is usually about 45 minutes, which is way too long. My theory is that the reason the sermons are so long is that the preachers are all men and they've never had to sit through an entire service wondering if they started their period!

Hmmm. Wasn't this going to be a short history? Obviously, I had a lot of venting to do. As you can see, I have no real point. This post doesn't know where it's going because I don't know where I'm going. So, I'll just move on and leave you with my quiz results, which were suprisingly accurate. I don't know how it came up with a result, though, because I marked "I don't know" on about 1/3 of them it seems. Sigh.


You scored as Emergent/Postmodern. You are Emergent/Postmodern in your theology. You feel alienated from older forms of church, you don't think they connect to modern culture very well. No one knows the whole truth about God, and we have much to learn from each other, and so learning takes place in dialogue. Evangelism should take place in relationships rather than through crusades and altar-calls. People are interested in spirituality and want to ask questions, so the church should help them to do this.

Emergent/Postmodern


86%

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan


71%

Neo orthodox


64%

Charismatic/Pentecostal


54%

Modern Liberal


50%

Reformed Evangelical


43%

Classical Liberal


39%

Fundamentalist


36%

Roman Catholic


36%

What's your theological worldview?
created with QuizFarm.com