Sunday, May 15, 2005

Too mad to really think of a title

The New York Times has an article about teachers in the New York area getting paid $100,000 + salaries. Even though I make about a third of what they do, I'm not too jealous or cynical about it. It is much, much more expensive to live in that area. It's an intersting article.

What really got me upset, though, was a quote from a man named Richard Graham. He's a leader in an anti-tax group protesting the high salaries of teachers. He said:

The people who couldn't do the engineering, and anything else that required some brain power, became teachers, and they now have $100,000 salaries.

What did he just say? I can't believe it. I mean, I know there are hateful people out there, but this is ridiculous. First of all, how does he think the engineers become engineers? They didn't wake up with the ability, you know. Someone taught them! Secondly... well... Richard Graham if you are out there, I extend an invitation to you to teach my class for a week. If you're willing (And why wouldn't you be? It would be a vacation for you since it apparently doesn't take any "brain power"), I'll try to swing something with my administrators and you're welcome to show me just how easy it is to do my job.