Thursday, May 12, 2005

Tip #7 location, location, location

I live about 10 minutes away from the school where I work. It's great. Traffic is never a problem. If I have chaperone duty at night, I still have time to come home in between and take a nap or grab dinner. Whenever my friends at work want to meet, they choose my house because it is central.

It has drawbacks, too, though. Today I stopped at the drugstore to get some personal items. When I walked in I saw that a student from my 4th period class was working the cash register. Darn. I just got an anniversary card for the in-laws and left.

In a perfect world, she would have scanned my items and sent me on my way and then never breathed a word to a friend, because it's her job and she should be professional. Somehow, I didn't want to bank on that.

Maybe I hesitate because one of my former students works at the local grocery store and made fun of me one day at school by saying (in a girl's voice), "Hi! I'm Mrs. Abigail and I shop at Superfresh because coupons are double." Ha! I would use my coupons even if they weren't double.