Monday, May 30, 2005

If I were...

Okay, I'm finally ready to respond to MadHatter and Polski3's game. I don't know why it took so long. I choose 5 statements from the following to finish.

If I could be a scientist...If I could be a farmer...If I could be a musician...If I could be a doctor...If I could be a painter...If I could be a gardener...If I could be a missionary...If I could be a chef...If I could be an architect...If I could be a linguist...If I could be a psychologist...If I could be a librarian...If I could be an athlete...If I could be a lawyer...If I could be an inn-keeper...If I could be a professor...If I could be a writer...If I could be a llama-rider...If I could be a bonnie pirate...If I could be an astronaut...If I could be a world famous blogger...If I could be a justice on any one court in the world...If I could be married to any current famous political figure..

If I could be a doctor, I would make communication the center of my practice. Obviously, explaining things in clear terms is important, but I would go farther than that. I would make sure my patients knew it was okay to ask questions, to test my judgement, to tell me what they read about on the Internet. I wouldn't let them push me around because I would have the medical degree, but I would make them feel comfortable talking to me. I would not rush them. I would apologize when I was running late. Also, I would not have them strip down to nothing and then wait for 20 minutes on a table with nothing to read or do except stare at all the freaky medical instruments. (I once had an ob-gyn who put posters of sexy male stars on the ceiling. Nice sentiment.)

If I could be a gardener, I would grow my own herbs and vegetables. I have tried to do this in pots on my patio. I have failed. Many times. Don't get me wrong -- I like flowers and love to look at them. But my ultimate goal would be to grow things I could eat.

If I could be an architect, I would quit my job and be a teacher. Sorry, but it has always sounded boring to me.

If I could be a lawyer, I would be what my dad had really hoped I would be. I was the student body president in high school. I was the student rep to the school board and actually managed to cause a little of a stir while I was at it. Everyone believed I was born to be a lawyer. I didn't want the long hours and stab-in-the-back competitiveness. If I was a lawyer, though, I would probably go on a personal crusade againsts rapists. Someone close to me was raped by an acquaintance once (who offerred to walk her to her car since it was so late). There was plenty of proof and the guy had been accused twice before. In the end, they didn't press charges because she was wearing a zebra print bra and drank two margaritas and that would indicate apparently, that "she was asking for it."

If I could be a professor, I would be an education professor. And I would pair up with the dh, who is hoping to be a history professor. We would team teach social studies methods classes for future teachers. We would write books. He would be the research and content guy and I would be the "put it into practice" girl. Also, we would take this dynamic duo teaching team on the road. If I was a professor, I would definitely teach abroad. I studied abroad when in college and would do it again in a heartbeat. I would be the professor that was tough, but made it worth it by establishing deep connections with students. I would have my students over for dinner.


And now I have to tag three other people. Who hasn't been tagged? Tim at Assorted Stuff always has interesting educational posts, let's see what he has to say about other occupations. Christopher at What in Tarnation, since you are done with school and have a little extra time tell us what else you might do. And...let's move out of the k-12 end of the sphere, so Caleb at Mode for Caleb, go for it!