Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Why teach?

Sometimes one question can answer another. There are many times that I ask myself why I teach.

Right now in my U.S. History class we are discussing the U.S. rise to world power. After discussing the Spanish American War and the Panama Canal, one of my students (and a B student at that) raised her hand and said, "How come the U.S. always wants to get involved in other people's business? Why don't we just leave other people alone and let them do what they want. I mean, we say it's to spread democracy but really it just seems like we want to make money."

Hallelujah.

It's times like those that get me through the tougher times. An example of a tougher time: Another of my students asked why I, as a white person, care if he draws nooses and confederate flags on his papers.

Sigh.