Saturday, November 06, 2004

Why Abigail? Why Social Studies?

As I said in my previous post, I'm doing this anonymously. I had to come up with a pseudonym and Abigail was my choice. I fell in love with the name in my high school girls Sunday school class in Texas. Abigail is known as a peacemaker. The Old Testament tells us she was "a woman of good understanding and beautiful appearance." She was married to an evil man, though. She used her talents and hospitality to negotiate peace between her husband and David, whom she would later marry after God struck her husband dead (hey, he deserved it). To me, it is a great example of the way women, even those who choose what society would consider a traditional/backward path in life, can have a profound impact on society. I am not a person who likes conflict. Growing up, I could count on one hand the number of times my parents yelled at each other. Among my friends and family, I have always been the mediator, much like my hero Abigail.

Another Abigail of significance is Abigail Adams, wife of the second president. I wouldn't assert that she was as important as the aforementioned, but she was interesting. She is famous for her written request to her husband that he "Remember the ladies" when writing the Declaration of Independence. If you are interested in her life, I suggest Abigail Adams, by Edith B. Gelles. It uses her personal correspondence to tell the story of her life. I'll save my points about the complexity of the roles of women for another blog.

If you haven't figured out, Social Studies is supposed to be a play on words. Obviously, it refers to my teaching field. It also refers to my interests and what will probably be the topic of many of my blogs -- social issues. If anyone had bothered to survey me at the polls last Tuesday, I would have told them that was my main consideration in how I voted. But then, what do you consider "social issues"? I'll save that for another day, too.